Thursday, February 23, 2012

Five Minutes with :: Deborah Lloyd, Kate Spade Creative Director


As you would expect, Deborah Lloyd is a charming lovely woman who exudes the "Kate Spade" persona.  She was a delight to interview and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!


What inspires you?
Books.    I am out an about I travel a lot and I'm in vintage shops all the time exploring, researching.  This was inspired by amazing book that Helen O'Neill wrote.  The old one had this floral [gesturing to her dress] on the front printed in red and cream - it spoke to me across the book shelf.  I went and opened it and started reading the story of Flo Bro.  She's just such an amazing creative woman.  The prints are just not known in America.  They'd only been used for wall paper.  In all my vintage travels I'd never seen prints like these on clothes.

Who is the Kate Spade woman?
She's quick, curious, playful, and strong.  All those things we all want to be.  She's not a wallflower, she always stands out in a crowd.  She's never bored.

Do you cook?  Do you have a signature dish?
Yes, I love to cook.  Signature dishes are many - shepherd's pie, apple crumble - like an apple cobbler, but the English version - Quiche Lorraine, a proper English roast is no problem.  I'm very good at desserts too.  I was at the fish market today and spent $500 on fish.  So I'll be experimenting with that when I get home!


A sincere thanks to Lauren Foster who recorded the interview as well since I lost mine somehow...

No comments:

Post a Comment