Monday, November 15, 2010

Craft it :: Leaf Stamp Tablecloth

Can you believe Thanksgiving is almost here??  Here are some crafts that I made for our Thanksgiving table.  They are super easy to make and something you can do with your kids - use your best judgement with giving them tasks.  My two year old is an awesome pasta machine roller and cookie cutter stamper.  But my five year old niece can paint a leaf like nobody's business.

Have fun!  Enjoy your Thanksgiving.




Leaf Stamped Tablecloth 


I saw a leaf stamped tablecloth on Martha Stewart and loved it. Then I realized she didn't use actual leaves, but a wood cut of a leaf. Why take all of the extra time to make a wood cut when a newly fallen leaf will work just fine? And have a more natural appearance? I love the variation and the veining in the leaves and how it translates onto the fabric.

You'll need:

1 large tablecloth (linen colored or light colored)

Fabric paint (I use Resist Permanent which can be dry cleaned)

Craft Paint Brush

Thick leaves freshly picked (I used hydrangea)

What you'll do 

Step 1: Paint the top of the leaf with a thick coat of fabric paint.

Step 2: Lay the painted side of the leaf down on the edge of the tablecloth. I like to work from the corners out.

Step 3: Place a piece of paper towel over the top of the leaf and press evenly on the leaf. I use a brayer (mini-roller) to ensure the paint is evenly coated

Step 4: Follow the instructions on the fabric paint bottle to seal the paint. The brand I use requires heat setting the paint. I use the iron to ensure it's set and to remove any and all wrinkles before and after stamping.

Step 5: Allow to dry completely before using.

Tips:

* Re-paint the leaf between each "stamping." The paint is quickly absorbed by the fabric and a second stamping becomes a very faint shadow.

* Using leaves that have already turned color or have already fallen have a harder time pulling off the fabric once they are rolled on. Pick the last leaves on the tree for the best results.

No comments:

Post a Comment