Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cook it :: Cranberry Relish in a Can

You know those cans of cranberry relish that are so delicious but so weird?  It's weird that it comes from a can.  It's weird that it comes out with those little ridges on it.  It's weird that it's a universal icon of Thanksgiving.  But I think it's really tasty too.  A little fake, but still tasty.

This year I decided to try and make my own.  It's pretty good, if I say so myself.  And really simple.  The best part may be that it's make ahead - mandatory make ahead!  I prefer this made the day before, but you could make it up to three days ahead.  But no more than that - jello gets watery over time and so will this!


Cranberry Relish in a Can
4 cups cranberry juice
4 envelopes gelatin
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons sugar

Pour one cup of juice in a heat proof bowl and sprinkle gelatin over top.  Set aside.

Put the remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Boil five minutes until the cranberries begin to pop.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Pour hot cranberry mixture over gelatin mixture whisking constantly until gelatin has dissolved completely.

Divide mixture between two very clean 15 ounce cans.  Refrigerate until set - at least four hours.





*can you tell I have a new camera?  sorry for the art-y photos.  i'll get over it soon



No comments:

Post a Comment