Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Behind the Scenes :: Better Northwest King Crab Segment

Mitch, in the seafood department is AWESOME.

Tomorrow you can watch my first segment on Better Northwest on KIRO 7.  Wahoo!  This Thursday, and every Thursday through the end of the year, you can find me on KIRO around 9:15am.  Every week I'll bring you food and craft ideas in kitchens across the city.

This week we are at Metropolitan Market in Kirkland talking about King Crab.  King Crab is in season right now and it is SO GOOD!  But only if it it's fresh.  Which is why we are at Metropolitan Market talking about it because at Met Market they get the crab almost as soon as it's caught.

The fishermen on the boat (as you may have seen in Deadliest Catch) cook the crab as soon as it's caught.  When it comes to Met Market it is super fresh - like next day fresh (Alaska Air flies it in).  No freezing.  The crab we were eating at this shoot was caught the day before and picked up at the airport that morning by Larry, the seafood manager.

Here are a few photos from the day - tune in tomorrow morning to see the show.  And if you aren't in the area, have no fear!  We'll post the video here too!

The kitchen at Metropolitan Market is amazing.  A Viking stove and oven, a perfect little turn around.  I love it!  And we're right in the flower department so we had beautiful arrangements floating in and out all morning.  

My chopsticks were drum sticks for a while.  Some say my son is unable to sit still - I MAY know where he gets it from.  

Can you see the pile of junk in the front view?  Make up, handbags, coats :: we try to travel lightly, but it's what it is.  Oh, and don't look at my feet.  I can't stand all day in heels anymore.  Clogs it is.

He did think I was funny.  This look of contempt wasn't at me, I'm sure.  I had a lot of energy at this point and Mitch is WAY more low key than that.

Again, don't look at my feet.  Clogs are awesome for cooking in - no crocs here.

1 comment: