Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Getting ready for Thanksgiving! + recipe

It's almost here - it seems like just last weekend was Halloween...  But I digress.  Here are a few of my ideas for creating a lovely Thanksgiving at your house this year.


Feather Trees
I made these YEARS ago and they still come out every year, and they are still my favorite thing for the fall.  They are really great on the Thanksgiving table as the centerpiece because they hardly take up any room.  I like to raise them up on candlesticks for added drama.  The instructions for making these trees are in my new book!  Available next month online at alexandrahedin.com and on amazon.com



My Mashed Potatoes are potentially the best you will ever have.  Yes, I am tooting my own horn.  There is almost as much butter and cream cheese as there is potato.  And that's why they are delicious.  And that's why I only eat a small portion.  That recipe is ALSO in my new book!

A Vegetable Gratin using everything lovely that is in season right now.  Use your favorite Gratin Potato recipe and swap out half of the potatoes for thin slices of carrot, rutabaga, parsnip, and turnips.  It's a fun take on an old favorite.  And this time of year we could all use a little something different.


I've saved the best for last with a delicious Cream Cheese Apple Tart.  It's an easy dessert - with several steps - that can be made ahead of time and is best served chilled.


Cream Cheese Apple Tart

1 recipe Tart Dough (I use this one from Martha Stewart)
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 sour cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest (about one lemon)
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large apples, cut into thin slices
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water

Prepare tart dough and bake the empty shell at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool. In the stand mixer with the paddle attachment combine together cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar, zest and vanilla.  Evenly spread cream cheese mixture into the bottom of the cooled tart shell and refrigerate.

In a saucepan combine remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat 15-20 minutes until apples are soft.  Arrange apple slices across the top of the chilled tart and return to fridge.  Reserve 'sauce' created from apples.  Refrigerate tart.  Serve chilled tart with warm reserved sauce and whipped cream.




Have a great Thanksgiving and check back all this week and next for more ideas and recipes for your Thanksgiving holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment