I am sent dozens of cookbooks every month. And ever since I declared my love affair with ice cream last year, I immediately get every new ice cream book that comes on the market.* Of course, I love them all. But when I received the new book by San Francisco shop Humphry Slocombe I didn't just love the recipes (deliciously irreverent) but I loved them. Humphry and Slocombe.
These two adorable gents (neither named Humphry or Slocombe) have created a kooky ice cream shop in the heart of a kooky neighborhood and have captured the hearts of hipsters everywhere. Their flavors are quirky but amazing and their personality shines through every recipe in a delightfully genuine way. Did I mention I love them?
Since I started looking at so many ice cream books, I decided I needed a standard by which to judge said book. An even playing field, if you will. I chose Chocolate Ice Cream. I love chocolate ice cream. I love it even more on a homemade marshmallow. Or on a chocolate chip cookie. Or, baring nothing else is in the house, with caramel sauce on top.
On a completely unrelated note, I noticed my face is getting fatter. But let's get back to ice cream.
The boys of Humphry Slocombe don't exactly agree. They even call it "Here's your damn Chocolate Ice Cream." They aren't really ones for "plain Jane" flavors. Now you mix that chocolate with something saucy and they're on board. Their flavors are lovely little things like Balsamic Caramel, Prociutto, and Government Cheese.
But I choose chocolate. And it's a good one. You should make it tonight. Or this morning. Or as soon as you can get your hands on cream and chocolate.
I'll have mine with a marshmallow. And a cherry. Life is a party!
Photo credits :: Book via Humphry Slocombe website :: Boys in the shop and all other fabulous shots by Todd Selby
* I originally wrote "I get sent ice cream cookbooks like a hooker gets sent condoms." But I thought my mom would die. So I erased it. But then I thought it was really funny, so I put it down here. Sorry Mom.


No comments:
Post a Comment