Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Solving the world's problems, one coat at a time.

I have a pet peeve.  For those of you who don't live in Seattle or Portland, this will seem outlandish.  But if you live in the Great Northwest you will understand completely.

Your jacket must coordinate with your clothes.  It is a part of your outfit.

There, I said it.

So many people in Seattle seem to think it's ok to don a Patagonia fleece with a nice dress.  Or an LL Bean rain jacket with slacks.  It's not ok.  Just so you know.

Your jacket should be at the same level of dress-i-ness as your outfit.  You should look just as good with a coat on as with a coat off.  Make it work.  Here are a few suggestions for getting started, in case you haven't made it past the Patagonia/ Northface aisle.

There is a time and a place for the fleece - at our house, it's every other time than a 'dress occasion.'

why did I choose affordable options?  because I want you to buy some new coats - stat.

2 comments:

  1. Okay this made me laugh! When I moved to Seattle over 10 years ago I didn't have a rain jacket. In fact, I didn't buy one until living here for almost 2 years! I do wear my North Face, however I have a few colors. I love my jean jacket and wear it a lot in the summer. I loved the store Janeville (it went out of business) because they had great coats. Mini Boden has darling ones too! Thanks for making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. a thousand times yes. I refuse to buy a north face jacket for this reason alone. I fear I might wear it all the time, fleece is very tempting like that all warm and fuzzy. It's bad enough all I wear are tshirts and jeans. Seattle is so uber casual...it's hard not to.

    ReplyDelete