Monday, April 23, 2012

Garden-tastic weekend!


Due to a case of pink eye that invaded our family and the fact that it was spring break, we abandoned real life and went up to Whidbey Island for the week + weekend.  The weather was lovely which meant I could get the garden planted with the hardier plants.


Our rhubarb plant has gone completely bananas and we have loads of amazing rhubarb to eat up. This is the Victoria' species, if you are looking to plant a good rhubarb that does well in the Northwest, this is the plant for you.  I'll share some rhubarb recipes with you this week and next as we keep picking!

We had a little trouble in the garden too.  The peas - planted in late February per my grandfather's instructions - were enjoyed by the bunnies.   Despite a fence around the garden and bird net over the seeds, the bunnies still got in and dined to their little hearts content.


In one spot there are absolutely no pea seeds even in the ground.  The other location had the tiny tops of every pea shoot nibbled off.  They are quite smart.  Had their been actual pea shoots left when I got up there I was dreaming about eating them.  They are one of my favorite things over a risotto or in a salad.

To solve the problem, we covered the entire fence of the garden in a thin mesh wire to eliminate their entrance.  The birds are another major problem.  So we covered the entire top of the garden with bird net.  At this rate I'll have to hand pollinate everything because the bees won't be able to get in!!

Are you planting with us?  At the very least, grab some pea seeds and plant them up!  You'll be so glad you did.

And stay tuned all week.  The new issue of 425 Magazine is on it's way to your mailbox and I'm giving you a sneak peek at my article and all of the fun things that go with it!  Can't wait to share it all with you.  It's super adorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment