Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bookalicious :: Molly Moon


I am lucky enough that when I talk (endlessly) about how much I love to make ice cream, I end up being sent books like Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream.  I was really excited to get this book for lots of reasons:

1. Jeni's Splendid has been my bible for the last year and it was time for something new.

2. I desperately needed local recipes that featured things that grew prolifically in the Northwest.

3. It feels like summer and I want to make more ice cream.


This book is EXACTLY what I needed.  There are an amazing number of recipes featuring local produce - like rhubarb and cherries and figs - recipes I was missing before.  It turns out the whole nation doesn't have the same bounty as the Northwest.  We are crazy lucky to have such a wide variety of produce - Eastern and Western Washington produce vastly different things - and an interesting variety of produce.

I made the Strawberry Rhubarb Sorbet because I had literally JUST picked rhubarb the the night before and wanted to do something interesting with it.  Holy crap.  There is no other way to describe it.  My photographer (the incomparable Jeff Hobson) walked into our house and I had a cone waiting for him.  Expecting nothing out of the ordinary he literally exclaimed when he tasted it.  Literally he was in love with this sorbet.

If something that had only four ingredients (which includes water) can be that amazing - the rest of the recipes are going to really be out of the park!

Ice cream is super fun and easy to make (active time on this was about 15 minutes).  And with summer approaching, why wouldn't you want to make your own ice cream?

Of course, if you don't, you can pop into any one of Molly Moon's shops and grab yourself a cone.  See you there!

2 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for my book this weekend--at the party! It's driving me nuts seeing people post about it and I can't see it yet. :D

    ReplyDelete