Usually when I get a new cookbook I dive right in and find something I want to make. It doesn't mean I always follow the recipe to the letter, but I am almost always inspired by what I read and start cooking. Which is maybe why I haven't written about my latest, Momofuku Milk Bar, yet.
I'm thrown off.
Momofuku - the restaurant - is a unique place to eat. So is the Milk Bar. The food is amazing and interesting. The signature of Momofuku Milk Bar is Cereal Milk (TM). It's exactly what you think it is. Cereal soaked in milk to take on the 'bottom of the bowl' flavor. I'm totally trying this with ice cream. I just haven't gotten up the nerve.
Yep, I'm thrown off.
The more I read this book (I read cookbooks cover to cover before I start anything) the more I just wanted to hop on a plane and go to NYC. I want to eat her food. I want to see the bakeries. I want to read this book again. But I don't particularly want to make anything from the book.
If you have every cookbook ever, this is the book for you. It's different. It challenges traditional thinking. It's really interesting. And it's really well written. The author, Christina Tosi, has a great personality that comes through in the writing. She takes her work seriously, but not too seriously that she lacks any sense of humor. The opposite really - her work is imbued with humor, fun, and nostalgia.
Buy the book here online.



No comments:
Post a Comment